Thursday, January 31, 2013

Not • Quite • Final...

It's not QUITE final yet...

I still have tweaks to do to this but it's something I am so proud of - and two weeks form now will no doubt hate! Over the summer I had attended the Illustration Masterclass where one of our teachers had challenged me to do what I was REALLY passionate about (thank you Iain!). The thing I always found most fascinating about illustration was putting a face on the characters in my favorite books. I was always drawn to the faces of the people I imagined as I read and I spent hours trying to bring them to life. This painting is my answer to that challenge as well as being an assignment from the Smart School class with Greg Manchess I took over the fall.

I consider this just a stepping stone. I have already gotten some great criticism on this already (Thanks Marc!) and will be making some tweaks over the next few weeks and will post that when it is done. The difference a truly educated eye makes is fascinating and I am all too slowly acquiring that eye myself.

Okay - did I drop enough names? With good reason. I would not have achieved this much without their knowledge and generosity!

This is a painting of one of my favorite characters of all time: Menolly.


3 comments:

  1. So...already made it to professional level!!!!!!!!
    This is astonishing....You are a learning curve SPEED DEMON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her expression and pose and the dragons are right on! This is a tremendous jump forward....I am really impressed.
    Now, if you will forgive me....there is too much dark hair especially right behind her head, if you break it up a bit it will not be so dominant a dark blob. Also it looks like her head is too big for her body, though this could be the camera angle. small corrections here Girlfriend and you will have it nailed!!! So proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome comments! Yeah -you are right her head is too big - that is a rather glaring mistake especially since I am emphasizing it as well! I will be doing another one of these as I love this character so much and there are so many things I learned from it. Thanks for the input - every bit helps!!

    ReplyDelete