Thursday, January 3, 2013

What I am learning from

I wanted to add some of my favorite books that have inspired and educated me over the years. Andrew Loomis has one of the most amazing series of books that are thankfully being reprinted in lovely editions. This one is a great one to start with:

Figure Drawing for All It's Worth

I have found that there are a LOT of art books out there but filtering through them does take judgement and an awareness of your needs and tastes. Having said that rather pompous statement, I have to admit I buy just about everything that is on the market. Before the internet it was hard to know what was out there unless it was printed and on a shelf in a bookstore or library. These days the bar is so much higher and there is so much more great stuff out there both old and new that it's hard to know where to start.

Start with the BEST. Start with what you love and what intimidates you. Don't buy an art book because it feels safe and you feel confident you can handle it. Buy it because it scares you and excites you.

I'll be sprinkling listings for books on this blog that have done this for me. I will try to add ones that aren't as obvious as the Loomis books (so many great blogs have these listed already).

One more word of advice on art book avarice - find a really good used book store. You can find AMAZING art books for FABULOUS prices at these national treasures. Often better than what you can find on Amazon (and usually close to a coffee shop too - can't get java while shopping on Amazon... unless you walk into the kitchen.)

No comments:

Post a Comment